The Shelter Since 1951
The Shelter became a foundation in 1951, and since then we have granted funds to a wide variety of agencies. Initially we gave relatively large sums to a few organizations such as the Urban League, the John Hope Settlement House, Lippitt Hill Tutorial and the Mount Hope Day Care Center. We also gave scholarships to needy students, but after 1969 we discontinued this policy, except in unusual cases, preferring to support programs benefiting a larger number of children.
By the end of the 1970s our policy had shifted to supporting a dozen or more agencies with camperships, after-school programs and the like. A Proposal Review Committee meets each spring to evaluate requests for funding. By the beginning of the twenty-first century we were helping more than thirty agencies each year, with most of the grants being between one thousand and five thousand dollars.
During the 1980s, after a long discussion, the Board adopted a policy of limited divestment of holdings in South Africa in order to protest the apartheid regime. More recently we have adopted a strategy of socially responsible investment, refusing to profit from firearms, gambling or tobacco.
There is a recurring discussion involving the organization’s name: so far, the Board has kept it for historic reasons.
Whatever it is called, however, the Providence Shelter has served the needs of children of color in Rhode Island’s capital city for almost one hundred and seventy years.
And it plans to go on doing so.