In a time of rapidly changing demographics we retain a strong commitment to serving children of African descent.
The Proposal Review Committee uses these guidelines when evaluating grant applications:
- service to groups which serve black children
- children to be served should live in the greater Providence area
- children to be served should be under 14, though high school aged children may be considered
- the grant should provide service of basic needs and/or educational opportunities
- preference will be given to programs serving more rather than fewer children (e.g. scholarships for one child are not available)
- approval may also take into consideration the other sources of an agency’s income.
- funding is for services to children, not for equipment or capital improvements
Organizations must apply online through the Rhode Island Foundation’s online application system at the link below website. A complete application consists of:
- a submitted Online Application.
- a completed Budget Form attached to your online application. Please indicate sources of funding on the form.
- a completed Self-Evaluation Form attached to your online application (only if you received a grant from the Providence Shelter last year). Proposals will not be considered unless this self-evaluation is submitted. The deadline for self-evaluation is March 31. If the program is not yet completed, please treat this as an interim report.
- optionally, up to 4 pages of additional supporting materials may be attached to your online application.
Please submit your application and supporting materials electronically and not by mail.
Requests must be completed and submitted by March 31. For general inquiries or content related questions with the application, please contact Kelly Riley at 401-427-4028 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical questions, please contact Bryant Phillips at 401-427-4049 or email@example.com.
Applicants will be informed of the Proposal Review Committee’s decision after the Shelter’s Annual Meeting in May.
Please be advised that we make these grants based on projected income, therefore funds are generally not immediately available. They are usually disbursed beginning in August following grant approval through March of the following year.
If your program should need funding early in the Shelter’s fiscal year (which begins on May 1st), please include such information in your application.